Feedback on Acyclovir Side Effects and Usage, page 64
If you’ve used Acyclovir, please help others by sharing your experience with side effects. What would you tell your best friend about this product? Please remember that we do not give medical advice. That is for your local health care provider, who is familiar with your medical history.
My doctor has prescribed Cephlaexix and Acyclovir for 3 different canker sores I developed within 2.5 months over the summer. I am female, 59 and have never had canker sores in my life until now. I am miserable, cannot eat, sleep and have lost over 15 lbs over this time period. I am married 35 years. Please help w any advice on meds, pain relief, etc. thanks.
AskDocWeb: Canker sores often make eating and talking uncomfortable. In general there are two types of canker sores:
- Simple canker sores. These may appear three or four times a year and last up to a week. They typically occur in people between 10 and 20 years of age.
- Complex canker sores. These are less common and occur more often in people who have previously had them.
The pain caused by a canker sore generally lessens in a few days and the sores usually heal without treatment in about a week or two. If sores are unacceptably painful your doctor may prescribe a prescription or over-the-counter solution to reduce the pain and irritation.
Although there is no cure for canker sores there are a few things that you can do to reduce their frequency:
- Avoiding foods that irritate your mouth, including citrus fruits and acidic vegetables and spicy foods
- Avoiding irritation from gum chewing
- Brushing with a soft-bristled brush after meals and flossing daily, which will keep your mouth free of foods that might trigger a sore.
- Taking nutritional supplements. Canker sores are known to occur more often in those who consume low amounts of important nutrients, such as folate (folic acid), vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12 or zinc.
Minor canker sores do not usually require treatment because they tend to clear on their own in a week or two.
Does Acivir have side effects
I’m 32 yrs. lady. I’m suffering from vaginal infection still 3 yrs. I had hysteroctomy bfr 1yr. Now I’m taking treatment of dermatologist. Dr. Suggested me acivir 400 thrice a day for 2 weeks. after twice a day for 2 weeks and once a day for 4 weeks, is dis tab has any sideeffect like weight gain, hair loss? pls advice me.
AskDocWeb: Acivir appears to be the Indian brand name for Acyclovir. Side effects are possible with that drug and most are listed here. Some people have reported hair loss (alopecia) from prolonged use but that is uncommon. And while it is possible to gain weight while on Acivir, that is not one of the listed side effects.
I acyclovir 400 mgs bd last 3 days but my throat had some irritation when i take medicine the whole vday is it allergic reaction? But i feel some better except throat pain.
AskDocWeb: Some side effects can be serious and should be reported to your doctor immediately (Source). Throat pain or sore throat is one of them. Other side effects and symptoms that should be reported to your doctor immediately include:
- aggressive behavior
- blood in the urine
- bloody diarrhea
- decreased urination
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- difficulty sleeping
- difficulty speaking
- fast heartbeat
- fever, sore throat, chills, cough, and other signs of infection
- hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist)
- loss of consciousness
- numbness, burning, or tingling in the arms or legs
- pale skin
- rash or blisters
- shaking of a part of your body that you cannot control
- stomach pain or cramps
- swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- temporary inability to move parts of your body
- unusual bruising or bleeding
Acyclovir may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while you are taking this drug.
Is it possible to be feeling nusea after three days of finishing the acyclovir drug.
AskDocWeb: Yes, it is possible but it is also unlikely to be caused by the Acyclovir three days after discontinuing the drug.
So I’m undergoing surgery Monday to have my wisdom teeth removed. If I’m taking acyclovir will it help my mouth heal faster????
AskDocWeb: Acyclovir has no effect on the healing time to recover from oral surgery. However, it may prevent complications from developing from the virus.
No one seems to know
I have been taking 800 mg of Acyclovir for bumps and itching and then horrible burning on my arms whenever I get an outbreak of whatever I have for 10 years, Some say it’s herpes, recurrent shingles, or neuropathy from either. Now a doctor says I don’t have shingles or herpes and says the acyclovir is dangerous but the acyclovir (and neurontin and ice) is the only thing that gives me relief. I am panicking over this. Is it dangerous if what I have (no one seems to know) is not herpes…but if it’s not, how come acyclovir gives me relief. It’s about all that does.
AskDocWeb: If your doctor is unable to test you for herpes, ask for a referral for a doctor who can do that. Sometimes you have to make a specific request to get the right test. The most definitive test for herpes is a viral culture, but in most cases this test requires a sample from an active outbreak. There is also a blood test that uses IgG antibodies for herpes. The IgG test can also distinguish antibodies due to genital herpes infections from antibodies produced by other viruses. The downside of the IgG test for herpes is that it takes a long time for these antibodies to build up in the bloodstream, meaning that it is necessary to wait up to 4 months after a possible infection before performing an accurate IgG test.
Read more feedback about Acyclovir.
Page 64 –
Last Page 74