Report on Parsley Side Effects and Usage
Natural health supplements sometimes have unexpected side effects or interactions with medication that can lead to adverse reactions that are sometimes life threatening. The following is a list of cautions that you should be aware of before using Parsley (Petroselinum crispum). These are referred to as drug/herb interactions.
Warning 1 – Anticoagulants: Large amounts of parsley may interfere with anticoagulation therapy.
Warning 2 – Lithium: Using parsley while taking lithium may result in lithium toxicity.
Warning 3 – MAOIs: When parsley is used with MAOIs, tricyclics, or SSRIs this may lead to serotonin syndrome. Experts recommend avoiding concurrent use.
Warning 4 – Opioids: Parsley may cause serotonin syndrome if used with opioids. Experts recommend avoiding concurrent use.
Used as a natural health remedy: Parsley is used internally for the following benefits:
- Vitamin K – one sprig gives you all you need
- Healthy nerves; helps maintain the myelin sheath around your nerves
- inhibits tumor formation in the lungs
- chemoprotective; helps neutralize carcinogens (colon and prostate cancer)
- Rich source of Anti-Oxidant Nutrients; volatile oils and flavonoids
- Source of pro-vitamin A carotenoid, beta-carotene
- Source of vitamin C
- fights colds
- preventing ear infections
- Reduces risk for developing atherosclerosis and diabetes
- Good source of folic acid
- Protection against Rheumatoid Arthritis (See other herbs for inflammation)
- Promotes heart health
- Promotes a strong immune system
- Protection against inflammatory polyarthritis
- Cleanses your breath
Side Effects of Parsley
Parsley typically does not have side effects. The only known side effect of Parsley is that eating copious amounts of parsley may cause adverse events for pregnant women or those with untreated gall bladder or kidney problems. (See form below)
As with any herb, a serious allergic reaction is possible. Seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction. These may include a rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, or trouble breathing.
Return to the Herb List.
For questions and answers about the side effects of herbs see the Herb Forum
If you find this page useful share it with others. Use the form below to add a side effect not listed or comments about Parsley. Please note that all addresses are held confidential.